Top 5 Security Plugins for WordPress 2020
Today Millions of Websites are running on WordPress and no of websites on wordpress are growing day by day . so we must need to aware of the importance of security and best WordPress Security Plugins to use on our website/blog.
WordPress is best platform to do blogging because it’s plugins features makes it easy and smooth in use. mostly this platform is using by bloggers for blogging but now you can see on the internet lot of websites of organizations and another firm , etc also are running on wordpress. We have also discussed about the plugins in old articles so if you are using wordpress platform then I am sure you know very well about importance of plugins.
We must need to know about Security of our website/blog, actually wordpress is very simple in default security because wordpress provide same method to login in your websitelike same as other wp user.
Actually for WordPress Security we have to install any best plugin which is suitable for you then configure that plugin according to yourself for better security. It’s very easy steps and I am hardly suggesting you to never use nulled theme or nulled plugin in your blog/websiteif you wants to keep from hacking by others.
So here I am sharing with you list of 5 awesome security plugins which will help you to make your WordPress site more secure.
This is one of the best Plugin for secure your wordpress site and it’s available in free version and paid version both. And both version also work mostly same but paid version have some more and special features.
Mostly bloggers recommended this plugin for me in my beginning journey of blogging and now I am recommending for you.
- Two-Factor Authentication – Use a mobile app such as Google Authenticator or Authy to generate a code or have a generated code emailed to you.
- WordPress Salts & Security Keys – The iThemes Security plugin makes updating your WordPress keys and salts easy.
- Malware Scan Scheduling – Have your site scanned for malware automatically each day. If an issue is found, an email is sent with the details.
- Password Security – Generate strong passwords right from your profile screen.
- Password Expiration – Set a maximum password age and force users to choose a new password. You can also force all users to choose a new password immediately (if needed).
- Google reCAPTCHA – Protect your site against spammers.
- User Action Logging – Track when users edit content, login or logout.
- Import/Export Settings – Saves time setting up multiple WordPress sites.
- Dashboard Widget – Manage important tasks such as user banning and system scans right from the WordPress dashboard.
- Online File Comparison – When a file change is detected it will scan the origin of the files to determine if the change was malicious or not. Currently works only in WordPress core but plugins and themes are coming.
- Temporary Privilege Escalation – give a contractor or someone else temporary admin or editor access to your site that will automatically reset itself.
- wp-cli Integration – Manage your site’s security from the command line.
It’s another awesome Plugin that can help you to secure your wordpress site. Because this plugin is comprehensive with WP security and firewall. In this plugin you will get 3 kind of security level – basic, intermediate and Advance.
And This plugin also alert you if any one tried to login with wrong login details and block him immediately and also alert you when someone change your wp file and you can block by only single click. This plugin is must have for all wordpress user because this provide us all in one means all kind of useful things in single plugin , no need to use more.
[irp posts=”4100″ name=”25+ Best Google AdSense Alternatives 2019″]
Below is a list of the security and firewall features offered in this plugin:
USER ACCOUNTS SECURITY
- Detect if there is a user account which has the default “admin” username and easily change the username to a value of your choice.
- The plugin will also detect if you have any WordPress user accounts which have identical login and display names. Having account’s where display name is identical to login name is bad security practice because
you are making it 50% easier for hackers because they already know the login name.
- Password strength tool to allow you to create very strong passwords.
- Stop user enumeration. So users/bots cannot discover user info via author permalink.
USER LOGIN SECURITY
Protect against “Brute Force Login Attack” with the Login Lockdown feature. Users with a certain IP address or range will be locked out of the system for a predetermined amount of time based on the configuration settings and you can also choose to be notified
via email whenever somebody gets locked out due to too many login attempts.
- As the administrator you can view a list of all locked out users which are displayed in an easily readable and navigable table which also allows you to unlock individual or bulk IP addresses at the click of a button.
- Force logout of all users after a configurable time period
- Monitor/View failed login attempts which show the user’s IP address, User ID/Username and Date/Time of the failed login attempt
- Monitor/View the account activity of all user accounts on your system by keeping track of the username, IP address, login date/time, and logout date/time.
- Ability to automatically lockout IP address ranges which attempt to login with an invalid username.
- Ability to see a list of all the users who are currently logged into your site.
- Allows you to specify one or more IP addresses in a special whitelist. The whitelisted IP addresses will have access to your WP login page.
- Add Google reCaptcha or plain maths captcha to WordPress Login form.
- Add Google reCaptcha or plain maths captcha to the forgot password form of your WP Login system.
USER REGISTRATION SECURITY
- Enable manual approval of WordPress user accounts. If your site allows people to create their own accounts via the WordPress registration form, then you can minimize SPAM or bogus registrations by manually approving each registration.
- Ability to add Google reCaptcha or plain maths captcha to the WordPress’s user registration page to protect you from spam user registration.
- Ability to add Honeypot to the WordPress’s user registration form to reduce registration attempts by robots.
- Easily set the default WP prefix to a value of your choice with the click of a button.
- Schedule automatic backups and email notifications or make an instant DB backup whenever you want with one click.
FILE SYSTEM SECURITY
Identify files or folders which have permission settings which are not secure and set the permissions to the recommend secure values with click of a button.
- Protect your PHP code by disabling file editing from the WordPress administration area.
- Easily view and monitor all host system logs from a single menu page and stay informed of any issues or problems occurring on your server so you can address them quickly.
- Prevent people from accessing the readme.html, license.txt and wp-config-sample.php files of your WordPress site.
HTACCESS AND WP-CONFIG.PHP FILE BACKUP AND RESTORE
- Easily backup your original .htaccess and wp-config.php files in case you will need to use them to restore broken functionality.
- Modify the contents of the currently active .htaccess or wp-config.php files from the admin dashboard with only a few clicks
- Ban users by specifying IP addresses or use a wild card to specify IP ranges.
- Ban users by specifying user agents.
This plugin allows you to easily add a lot of firewall protection to your site via htaccess file. An htaccess file is processed by your web server before any other code on your site.
So these firewall rules will stop malicious script(s) before it gets a chance to reach the WordPress code on your site.
- Access control facility.
- Instantly activate a selection of firewall settings ranging from basic, intermediate and advanced.
- Enable the famous “6G Blacklist” Firewall rules courtesy of Perishable Press
- Forbid proxy comment posting.
- Block access to debug log file.
- Disable trace and track.
- Deny bad or malicious query strings.
- Protect against Cross Site Scripting (XSS) by activating the comprehensive advanced character string filter.
or malicious bots who do not have a special cookie in their browser. You (the site admin) will know how to set this special cookie and be able to log into your site.
- WordPress PingBack Vulnerability Protection feature. This firewall feature allows the user to prohibit access to the xmlrpc.php file in order to protect against certain vulnerabilities in the pingback functionality. This is also helpful to block bots from constantly accessing the xmlrpc.php file and wasting your server resource.
- Ability to block fake Googlebots from crawling your site.
- Ability to prevent image hotlinking. Use this to prevent others from hotlinking your images.
- Ability to log all 404 events on your site. You can also choose to automatically block IP addresses that are hitting too many 404s.
- Ability to add custom rules to block access to various resources of your site.
BRUTE FORCE LOGIN ATTACK PREVENTION
- Instantly block Brute Force Login Attacks via our special Cookie-Based Brute Force Login Prevention feature. This firewall functionality will block all login attempts from people and bots.
- Ability to add a simple math captcha to the WordPress login form to fight against brute force login attacks.
- Ability to hide admin login page. Rename your WordPress login page URL so that bots and hackers cannot access your real WordPress login URL. This feature allows you to change the default login page (wp-login.php) to something you configure.
- Ability to use Login Honeypot which will helps reduce brute force login attempts by robots.
- Perform a WhoIs lookup of a suspicious host or IP address and get full details.
- The file change detection scanner can alert you if any files have changed in your WordPress system. You can then investigate and see if that was a legitimate change or some bad code was injected.
COMMENT SPAM SECURITY
- Monitor the most active IP addresses which persistently produce the most SPAM comments and instantly block them with the click of a button.
- Prevent comments from being submitted if it doesn’t originate from your domain (this should reduce some SPAM bot comment posting on your site).
- Add a captcha to your wordpress comment form to add security against comment spam.
- Automatically and permanently block IP addresses which have exceeded a certain number of comments labeled as SPAM.
FRONT-END TEXT COPY PROTECTION
- Ability to disable the right click, text selection and copy option for your front-end.
REGULAR UPDATES AND ADDITIONS OF NEW SECURITY FEATURES
- WordPress Security is something that evolves over time. We will be updating the All In One WP Security plugin with new security features (and fixes if required) on a regular basis so you can rest assured that your site will be on the cutting edge of security protection techniques.
WORKS WITH MOST POPULAR WORDPRESS PLUGINS
- It should work smoothly with most popular WordPress plugins.
- Ability to remove the WordPress Generator Meta information from the HTML source of your site.
- Ability to remove the WordPress Version information from the JS and CSS file includes of your site.
- Ability to prevent people from accessing the readme.html, license.txt and wp-config-sample.php files
- Ability to temporarily lock down the front end of your site from general visitors while you do various backend tasks (investigate security attacks, perform site upgrades, do maintenance work etc.)
- Ability to export/import the security settings.
- Prevent other sites from displaying your content via a frame or iframe.
It’s another lovely and awesome plugin for wp security. Features of this plugins are really mind-blowing. Actually this plugin scan each visitor of your wp blog and also work like firewall which help you to secure your blog from hackers.
Word fence also scan your blog posts and comments and malicious url from your dashboard.
- Web Application Firewall identifies and blocks malicious traffic. Built and maintained by a large team focused 100% on WordPress security.
- [Premium] Real-time firewall rule and malware signature updates via the Threat Defense Feed (free version is delayed by 30 days).
- [Premium] Real-time IP Blacklist blocks all requests from the most malicious IPs, protecting your site while reducing load.
- Protects your site at the endpoint, enabling deep integration with WordPress. Unlike cloud alternatives does not break encryption, cannot be bypassed and cannot leak data.
- Integrated malware scanner blocks requests that include malicious code or content.
- Protection from brute force attacks by limiting login attempts, enforcing strong passwords and other login security measures.
WORDPRESS SECURITY SCANNER
- Malware scanner checks core files, themes and plugins for malware, bad URLs, backdoors, SEO spam, malicious redirects and code injections.
- [Premium] Real-time malware signature updates via the Threat Defense Feed (free version is delayed by 30 days).
- Compares your core files, themes and plugins with what is in the WordPress.org repository, checking their integrity and reporting any changes to you.
- Repair files that have changed by overwriting them with a pristine, original version. Delete any files that don’t belong easily within the Wordfence interface.
- Checks your site for known security vulnerabilities and alerts you to any issues. Also alerts you to potential security issues when a plugin has been closed or abandoned.
- Checks your content safety by scanning file contents, posts and comments for dangerous URLs and suspicious content.
- [Premium] Checks to see if your site or IP have been blacklisted for malicious activity, generating spam or other security issue.
- Wordfence Central is a powerful and efficient way to manage the security for multiple sites in one place.
- Efficiently assess the security status of all your websites in one view. View detailed security findings without leaving Wordfence Central.
- Powerful templates make configuring Wordfence a breeze.
- Free to use for unlimited sites.
- With Live Traffic, monitor visits and hack attempts not shown in other analytics packages in real time; including origin, their IP address, the time of day and time spent on your site.
- [Premium] Stop brute force attacks permanently by using two factor authentication, one of the most secure forms of remote system authentication available.
- Block attackers by IP or build advanced rules based on IP Range, Hostname, User Agent and Referrer. [Premium] Country blocking available with Wordfence Premium.
Google authenticator enables 2 step verification for each person who will try to login on your dashboard. You have to download Google authenticator in your Android, iPhone or blackberry. Then it will generate a core on every new login you have to write code in login page of wp site then it will give you access of wp dashboard.
Google Authenticator is security plugin which is provided by Google it self . as today we trust too much on Google products because of quality and power so you right as like other tools this is another awesome plugin by Google for WordPress users.
STANDARD PLUGIN FEATURES
- Two Factor Authentication (2FA) for Users as per the upgrade ( User-based pricing )
- Available Authentication Methods: Google/Authy/LastPass Authenticator, QR Code, Push Notification, Soft Token, Security Questions(KBA), OTP Over Email, OTP Over SMS, OTP Over SMS and Email, Email Verification. ( SMS credits need to be purchased as per the need)
- Language Translation Support
- Multiple Login Options: Username + password + two-factor (or) Username + two-factor
- Backup Method: KBA(Security Questions)
- Multi-Site Support
- User role based redirection after Login, Custom Security Questions (KBA), Customize account name in Google Authenticator app
BulletProof is another plugin for wordpress security and work same like other plugins. Provides better security feature for all wordpress users. And stop malicious attack from different- different IP’s. It alerts you via mail if someone try to login your blog and failed or trying to login with blocked ip .
[irp posts=”4478″ name=”Best CPU for Gaming 2019″]
BULLETPROOF SECURITY FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS
- One-Click Setup Wizard
- Setup Wizard AutoFix (AutoWhitelist|AutoSetup|AutoCleanup)
- MScan Malware Scanner
- .htaccess Website Security Protection (Firewalls)
- Hidden Plugin Folders|Files Cron (HPF)
- Login Security & Monitoring
- JTC-Lite (Limited version of BPS Pro JTC Anti-Spam|Anti-Hacker)
- Idle Session Logout (ISL)
- Auth Cookie Expiration (ACE)
- DB Backup: Full|Partial DB Backups | Manual|Scheduled DB Backups | Email Zip Backups | Cron Delete Old Backups
- DB Table Prefix Changer
- Security Logging
- HTTP Error Logging
- FrontEnd|BackEnd Maintenance Mode
- UI Theme Skin Changer (3 Theme Skins)
- Extensive System Info
These are the best plugins which i use personally for my other WordPress blog , WordPress membership plugins are also very popular to use via some Bloggers and Webmaster they make use of it for their security and privacy .
So, I hope you will like my choice because some more plugins are available on top five best wordpress security but I have selected some of best for you. And if you are using another plugin which I have not listed here you can share with us or need any kind of help in installing these plugins in your WordPress dashboard you can ask me through commenting here or directly contact us.